While it seems easy to sip litres of water a day, the reality is that many of us struggle to drink water. Whether it’s forgetting to sip away due to busy work schedules, having a fear of making constant trips to the toilet or disliking the bland taste, there is no denying that water has some pretty impressive health benefits.
Here are some of the benefits of drinking water
Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue. Did you know that our brain is mostly water? Therefore drinking water helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!
Promotes Weight Loss. Water helps to remove by-products of fat, raises your metabolism and has no artificial colours, flavours or sugar. Water can also reduce your food intake by filling you up (if consumed prior to meals) and can reduces hunger
Flushes Out Toxins. Helps to gets rid of waste through urination which reduces the risk of Urinary Tract Infections and kidney stones
Improves Skin Complexion. Water is a natural moisturiser for your skin your skin, keeping it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Water can even help to reduce prolong wrinkles.
Aids in digestion. Water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.
Natural Headache Remedy. Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.
How much water should you drink?
The amount of water each person’s body requires varies from person to person. A good way to determine if you are drinking enough water is to look into the toilet (incredibly unflattering, but a great predictor none the less!). If your urine isn’t clear, but appearing to be a dark or bright yellow colour with a pungent smell, then your body is communicating to you that it needs more water. Some suggest 8 glasses (2 litres) a day however here at Practise Glow we are all about learning to listen to what your body needs.
So how can we drink more water?
1. Get a gorgeous water bottle. I confess I used to find it difficult to drink water, until I bought a gorgeous water bottle from Lululemon. Having a pretty water bottle is almost a fashion statement! I simply love carrying it around with me. In fact it comes with me to work meetings, cafes, the gym and when I’m shopping. Because it is always on me I’m always sipping away (it’s also very heavy if I don’t drink from it, so that’s another good reason to sip away!). Try it for yourself!
2. Experiment with the temperature of your water. Personally I love to drink my water luke warm and as soon as I started drinking warm water I started to drink more of it! Magic. If you discover that you enjoy warm or luke warm water too make sure you find a glass water bottle. Not only will it stay warmer for longer but heating plastic can release toxins into your water which is hazardous for the body.
3. Pretty up your water. This is especially fun for children also, who I believe could drink more water too. Get creative with the following combinations: // Lemon, orange + mint // Passionfruit + berries // Cucumber + mint
Or you could…
+ Freeze rose petals and edible flowers in ice cube trays and dissolve a few into your water
+ Add a few drops of rosewater or orange blossom
+ Add a few drops of fresh raspberry or strawberry juice
+ Drink your water with a gorgeous patterned paper straw, a glass straw (very environmentally friendly) or a curly straw. See here for purchasing glass straws.
4. Break your day up into chunks of time. Providing structure can be incredibly organising. I love setting little challenges and working towards achieving them, such as working out when I want to have ‘x’ amount of water consumed by. Here is how I do it (I have a 600 ml water bottle):
600 ml by lunch time | 600 ml by mid afternoon | 600 ml by dinner | 200 ml after dinner
But how do I remember to do this? I hear you scream:
+ Set alarms on your iphone. Visit the apple store for some great apps
+ Have a sticky note on the computer motivating you to drink water
+ Take your bottle with you to meetings and everywhere else for that matter. Your bottle is now a non-negotiable
+ Put your water bottle in prime position (move over iphone!)
+ Tell a work mate that you’re trying to drink more water and get them to hold you accountable!
+ Reward yourself. I personally love to shape my behaviour with a few little treats, a special breakfast date with myself, a new book or piece of exercise clothing
5. Have a big glass of water before a meal. Why? It’s not only a great reminder to get a glass of water into you at least three times a day, but it can help to fill you up and prevent over eating. Want to stimulate your digestion by switching on your enzyme production? Squeeze a little lemon juice, throw in a few slices of lemon or lime or even splash a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into your water and drink away.
And finally….Keep your goal achievable. Start slowly, which for you may mean aiming to drink one extra glass of water a day, slowly building a glass of water more each day, or every few days until you reach the amount of water your body needs.
Have you got any more ideas about how to get more water into your gorgeous body? We would love you to share your comments below.
Did you enjoy reading this post? Know someone who would love this information? Then don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Thanks to Instagram for the images.